How Your Rent is Determined

In order to be eligible for rent assistance through HUD, your gross income (including income from assets) must be below the very low income limits set by HUD for the Cambria County area and you must be one of the following:

  • The head of household, the spouse, or the sole member who is 62 years of age or older, or
  • A person with physical disabilities.

A preference may be given to applicants whose income is below the “extremely low income” limits set by HUD.


The rent a family will pay is the highest of the following amounts:

  • 30% of the family’s monthly “adjusted” income (deductions for medical expenses are made from the family’s gross income if those expenses exceed 3% of income.)
  • 10% of the family’s monthly income
  • Welfare rent or welfare payment from agency to assist family in paying housing costs – OR – $25.00 Minimum Rent


Rent includes electric, gas, water, sewage, and trash.